[Xastir-dev] Re: xastir server. et-al

Gerry Wheeler gwheeler at vmguys.com
Fri Aug 16 09:04:28 EDT 2002

I think I got the quoting right and attributed the following to the
correct people...

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 04:52, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> > I'm thinking along the lines of one program that will allow one to
> > configure, start, stop, and monitor everything.  For the typical
> > user with perhaps one interface and a network connection the
> > operation wouldn't have to be much different than it currently is
> > starting up the monolithic version of Xastir.
> >
> > Separate modules give us a lot of flexibility and the potential for
> > adding a tremendous amount of very cool features.  We're going to
> > head in that direction, it's just a matter of when and how.
>
> I like that approach!

I've long been of the opinion that terminology is important. Certain
words contain certain implications, or hidden meanings, that can guide
others in understanding what is meant.

With that in mind, would it be useful to refer to the secondary programs
(i.e. the ones being controlled by  the "one program" Curt refers to) as
"plugins"? I don't mean that they need to be implemented in the same way
as browser plugins. But that term, to me, implies a) a well-defined
interface between the main program and the plugin, b) an API for plugin
writers to use, c) some way for the main program to start, stop, plug,
and unplug the plugins, etc.

To coin a phrase, "If the term fits, let's use it." :-) But of course,
if it doesn't fit, let's not.
--
Gerry Wheeler      KG4NBB
VM Systems, Inc.   +1 941 596 2480 x24