[Xastir-Dev] Latest CVS: GNIS files getting slower?

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Dec 26 14:36:32 EST 2002

In the latest CVS Xastir, I changed the util.c:get_line() function a
bit.  It now looks for control characters and terminates the line at
the first one found.

Because of this change, a problem that has existed in GNIS files for
a very long time might cause slowdowns for some of you (if you use
GNIS files at all).  Some of the GNIS files have immense amounts of
white space at the ends of the lines.  This was pointed out to me by
Chris Bell a very long time ago.

Chris suggested a fix for this, which involves using "sed" to strip
off the ends of the lines.  This'll make your files about 1/4th the
original size and speed things up considerably.

The command to use is listed in the README.1ST file.  Search for
"sed".

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com