[Xastir-Dev] Re: Prevent unnecessary Tiger Map fetches

Gerry Wheeler gwheeler at vmguys.com
Fri Oct 11 15:23:16 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 14:26, Curt Mills wrote:
> 2) We could snag the image file out of /var/tmp where it was put by
> "wget", but with the current setup we might have fetched more than
> one 'net map in sequence:  We use the same temporary filename each
> time, so it could be problematic.  Perhaps we could specify a
> storage location in the .geo file, and if the zoom/extents hadn't
> changed since the last fetch, use that file?

That sounds like it would do what I was expecting. Perhaps have wget
save the file using a random name, which is then saved in the
corresponding .geo file? ("random" might mean building a name based on
the current view and zoom factor.) Temp files would have to be cleaned
up later, perhaps when Xastir shuts down and/or perhaps on the next
startup. (I think there are some libraries that will automatically
delete temp files when the application terminates, but I might be
thinking of Java instead of C.)

As I mentioned in my original message, I noticed this when I turned off
shapefile maps. Are there other events that currently cause Xastir to
refetch the Tiger map that might benefit from this?
--
Gerry Wheeler      KG4NBB
VM Systems, Inc.   +1 941 596 2480 x24
Naples, FL 34109   gwheeler at vmguys.com