[Xastir-Dev] scripts/track-get.pl not working

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Mon Oct 14 23:09:06 EDT 2002

I just tried out the track-get.pl script to download a track from my
garmin GPS's and was unsuccessful.

I have an eTrex Vista and an eTrex Legend and both failed the same way.
Hooked GPS up to /dev/ttyS0 (which I have rwx permissions for) and set
it for "Garmin" mode. Through firmware changes they (Garmin) appear to
have changed this title from "Garmin/Garmin" mode, but I think it's
still the same.

Also have the latest GPS::Garmin bundle for perl.

When I run the script, it asks for an "Item Designator". I tried putting
in a unique value here (ABC) as well as the name of an already saved
tracklog (HWY6P1) but both give the same results.

Get a "GPS Device has timed out" error after about 7-10 seconds and the
tracklog file exists but is empty.

Could Garmin have changed the serial speed to something other than 9600
for Garmin mode?

73
--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
Apple decided to charge money for my mac.com address so:
joe at lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat
the cookies.