[Xastir-Dev] Re: [Xastir] XASTIR <=> RH 8.0

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Fri Oct 25 15:57:36 EDT 2002

>>>>> "James" == James Jefferson <jjeffers at aprsworld.net> writes:

James> Is there any reason why we have to stay on the bleeding edge of
James> ImageMagick?  Could we fork their code (from a working,
James> supported version) then freeze it.  At least that way we are
James> not always trying to hit a moving target. API changes are not
James> our friend!

Jack> Including our own copy of ImageMagick would be unwise for many
Jack> reasons.  An action like that would essentially be taking
Jack> ownership of the code -- we would be responsible for any
Jack> security issues in that code as well as any other maintenance.
Jack> We would also be increasing the size of our package in a huge
Jack> way.  It is much simpler and easier to continue to chase along
Jack> the ImageMagick path.  Perhaps it would be helpful if Curt were
Jack> to contact the ImageMagick authors and request some sort of
Jack> notice or documentation of forthcoming API changes.

Curt> Funny you should say that.  I've been on the ImageMagick
Curt> developer's list for a couple of weeks now.  It appears that
Curt> they don't play by the rules for numbering of their shared
Curt> libraries, and they don't have complete control of the person
Curt> that decides to change the API's.  Seems kind'a screwed up.

Seems really screwed up if you ask me.  You'd figure with the current
state of the American economy that more skilled programmers and
software designers would contribute -- or maybe they have.  Ah well.

Curt> I complained loudly, got a few agreements on the list, but no
Curt> real action.

Did any other project developers speak out on how they handle the
situation?  I cannot believe that we are on our own here.

Curt> How's about we provide our own download site for getting
Curt> libraries known to work with the latest Xastir?  That way we
Curt> could just update the files once in a while, and people would
Curt> have a one-stop-shopping experience for the additional
Curt> libraries.

That'd work for the people who only use ImageMagick for Xastir and who
use popular operating systems.  The rest of us will have to continue
to keep Xastir up to rev with ImageMagick.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org