[Xastir-Dev] Re-org of file releases?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Oct 30 15:00:11 EST 2002

I perceive the number of downloads of xastir-1.1.0-i386-1.tgz to be
a problem.  We're currently up to 897 downloads on that file.  I
doubt people are reading the release notes, which identify that file
as a Slackware binary.

I think what's happening is that people are trying that one first,
then when it fails to run on their non-Slackware system they are
downloading the sources.  Some people give up easily and probably
don't ever get to that second step.

1) Rename the file to include "slackware-8" in the name.

2) Hide it altogether and just leave the tarball's available for
download (no binary files available for download).

3) Create another heading or subheading (if possible) in order to
group binary releases in an easily recognizable manner.  I haven't
checked yet whether this is possible with the current file release
system.  There may be some capabilities that we're not using though
that would help to organize what we have.

Other options?

It's probably worth a quick look at other projects to see how they
organize their releases.  Anybody have any good candidates?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com