[Xastir-Dev] problem with drg geotiff maps

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Oct 31 19:32:39 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> I was playing with the .fgd files from these DRG-E's. I know that they
> are 7.5 minute 'windows', and the bounds in the FGD don't match with
> that. I assume that's because they have been re-projected in some sort
> of rectangular something-or-other. I'm not a GIS person, I just like to
> look at maps :-)
>
> What I got was a partial display of the DRG-E, but it did not quite
> match up, as to be expected.
>
> In the mean-time, I went ahead and just paid $10 and downloaded some
> DRGs from www.mapmart.com ($1 per 1:24k DRG, minimum $10) and they work
> fine. It wasn't *that* much and I got some maps of my parent's homestead
> as well.

Darn it!  I could have saved you $10!  Oh well.

Try it now with the original files.  It should output some
nastygrams to STDOUT, but they should display.  I can't guarantee
that they'll be at the proper spot.  There's still something screwy
with these files, even after you hand-edit the Boundary lines in the
FGD file.  For some reason the neat-line corners keep coming up bad.
The code now tries to partically correct for this and continue on so
that something gets displayed.

Perhaps if you get the FGD numbers right, it'll all work properly.

Let me know how the positioning works out.  I guess I could bring up
my topo grid and see if it matches where the maps appear...

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com