[Xastir-dev] Re: [aprssig] Re: Getting Tiger2000 data?

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Sep 13 06:13:35 EDT 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> I'm late to the party, but...
> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, James Jefferson wrote:
> > The tiger data, in shapefile format, is also obtainable from
> > ftp://ftp.mapshots.com/Tiger/
>
> It's Tiger/97
>
> I know www.census.gov has Tiger/99 and the redistricting 2000 Tiger files,
> for free download.
>
> I can find exact URLs, but I'm sure Google can. I mirrored it, but why
> bother providing a copy as long as Census is going to make it available
> themselves, for free?

Because the mapshots and geographynetwork data has been converted
to Shapefile format.  The stuff from census.gov has not.

Also it's not as easy to get what you might want.  It's confusing
and time-consuming.  If just the shapes that were of interest to
APRS were available somewhere by state, it'd be a quick download.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer