[Xastir-dev] Peet U2k Rain Gauge

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Sep 17 09:36:48 EDT 2002

Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Mike Bucciarelli wrote:

One thought for Mike:  I didn't think it ever rained out there in Az.
Are you sure it's not just an imaginary rainfall, and xastir's doing it
right?  :-)  ;-)

>>On another matter, when English units are selected the
>>barometric pressure is still showing up in hPa instead
>>of inches. I think I have a conversion routine in
>>Perl if that would help anyone.
>

> Put this in as a bug report on SourceForge please if it's a real
> bug.  I'm a coder, not a weather guy.  Anyone else have input on
> this?

Interesting discussion on this today with my graduate students.

For those of you who haven't heard, I just got assigned a little project
to consider gathing data from all of Texas' counties and if necessary,
adding weather stations to some counties...  That's a minimum of 254
datapoints for one state...

In the discussion of data normalization, because we only want to archive
one data format even if that means there will be holes in some reports,
the decision was made to record temp and dew point in Farenheit,
pressure in mB and wind in MPH.  These are standard for US observations.
  Use of "pure" SI units standard in other parts of the world... and
becoming more standard in US DoD applications, still hasn't made it to
the mainstream.  Or put another way, after missing Mars, maybe the US
isn't really ready for metric.

Gerry