[Xastir-dev] Weather Stations

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Sep 25 13:53:33 EDT 2002

On 25 Sep 2002, Gerry Wheeler wrote:

> Would it be possible to add a filter to show/hide weather stations? With
> the (apparently) recent addition of a bunch of weather stations, the map
> tends to get a little cluttered.

Hmmm...  Where'd those come from?  ;-)

> Or perhaps a more generalized filter to show/hide stations based on some
> parameter(s). Icon? Call sign? Presence or absence of information?

I'm involved with the group that is generating those.  I'm not
personally generating any of them (yet), but probably will be at
some point.  These objects are a point of great discussion on the
APRSSIG mailing list at present, but what isn't?

Those are actually APRS Objects with weather info in them, and I had
to tweak Xastir so that it displayed them properly.  The spec allows
it but Xastir didn't.

It wouldn't be hard to add another toggle that disabled weather
objects.  I was thinking about doing just that.  Either that or have
a series of toggles for enabling/disabling things by type or by
icon.

Next is a bunch of stream gauge objects.  I'm generating a few for
AZ and for a couple of counties near me in WA.  They show up as
"H2O" objects, and give the water gauge and/or flow.

There are also Ocean Buoys showing up now.

Expect more quantity and types of objects to show up over time.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com