[Xastir-Dev] Change igate.c

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Apr 23 13:40:38 EDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Randall Bohn wrote:

> List ate my attachment. :(

We might need to ask Chuck about that.  It seems that other people
have had the same trouble lately.  Might have been a configuration
change made in the list software.

> I tried to post a patch that would collect all
>
> switch (data_port[port].device_type) {...}
>
> in igate.c with a function call, is_TNC(port). Then when new TNC types are added to the system you would just change the function, rather than four switch statements scattered throughout igate.c. Perhaps this would be useful in the system in general, rather than just for igate.c.
>
> int is_TNC(int port) {
>  switch (data_port[port].device_type) {
>   case DEVICE_SERIAL_TNC_AUX_GPS:
>   case DEVICE_SERIAL_TNC_HSP_GPS:
>   case DEVICE_SERIAL_TNC:
>   case DEVICE_AX25_TNC:
>   case DEVICE_SERIAL_KISS_TNC:
>   case DEVICE_NET_AGWPE:
>    return 1;
>   default:
>    return 0;
>  }
> }

Absolutely a good idea.  Nobody would argue with that!

I know I've said this recently to another person who wanted to make
some changes, but it still applies and is getting even more pressing:

We're about to go into code-freeze mode in preparation for the first
"stable" release that we've had in quite some time.  We should have
labeled quite a few of our development releases as "stable", as
they're much more stable than the last full-blown release, but
that's another story.

Anyway...  I like the change you came up with but we can't implement
it right now.  Well, I suppose I could get busy real fast and try to
get it in before the announced code freeze starts, but that's part
of the reason we haven't gone to code-freeze for the last month or
so:  I've been trying to get more features in at the last second.

In the interests of getting a release out, and keeping it very
stable, I want to do very few changes at this point, and don't want
to introduce any more new code.  We can implement bug-fixes during
the freeze, but no new code should be added, and even minor
organizational changes should be avoided unless they directly fix a
bug.

Please add this to the feature request list on SourceForge,
including your code snippet, so that it doesn't get forgotten.
We'll start implementing new features again after the release comes
out and we can get this change in there quickly.

If you find other places in the code where the organization sucks
(it should be easy), please let us know!  Sending us a patch is the
easiest way for us to implement changes.  I can put the patch right
into my version of the code and then run tkdiff on it to see what
the changes where.  Very easy.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com