[Xastir-Dev] Administrative Notes

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Tue Apr 29 13:24:14 EDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

> Tricky.  The code was written to use USGS geotiff topo maps.  I
> haven't tried (much) to support other formats yet.  I'd consider
> support for other types of files to be a feature request rather than
> a bug in the current implementation.

DOQs are USGS-format geotiffs. It's just hard to construct a meaningful
fgd file for them.

> It's not that nobody understands it, it's that I wrote the code a
> couple of years ago, nobody else has been in there, and I haven't
> had time/desire to get back into the thick of that particular piece
> of code.  I've been kind'a busy all over the rest of the code.  I
> sense some frustration in your response though.  We'll get back
> around to the geotiff stuff at some point.

It's frustration more in the sense that I know what I'm doing isn't the
best answer, but I'm uncertain how the code is "supposed to" work. I can't
see that it can possibly "rotate" if it's not cropping, but these images
don't need to be cropped. They have no collar.

> Are you trying to use some of the "enhanced" DRG formats or some
> satellite image?  What are these other files and are they freely
> available?

The PASDA ftp site has a pile of them. Want me to pick 2?