[Xastir-Dev] shape file speedups

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Aug 15 14:28:25 EDT 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Chris Bell wrote:

> Between the interruptable draws, and the new shp optimizations... WOW!

Check out the CPU usage and the memory usage as well...

> Opening and closing the map chooser is still my biggest slowness (10
> minutes to open with 30k lines in the map_index) besides map
> reindexing.  But I can live with that.  Dropping it down to dirs only
> is my acceptable fix.

You needed to wait until my "oprofile" listings showed that as a big
time-waster.  I'm starting to get to that point I think.  Just sped
up the search_station_name() function yet again, and I'm reasonably
happy with how the profile percentages show up now.

Next is doing more map optimization, and if the map chooser startup
is a problem, perhaps I should attach that next.

> + I have transparent backgrounds almost finished (programmable from
> the geo file) also with programmable zapping of other colors too
> (think remove labels or other features from maps) with a list.

Gimme gimme!

> + I have proj4 50% integrated (programmable from the geo file) so we
> will be able to support just about any projection and datum.

Um, like, wow!  That'd be rather cool.  We're heading closer towards
GIS systems all the time.

> + I have cropping of map borders working (radar legends), will be from
> the geo file soon.

Again, gimme gimme!

> + GDAL/OGR is coming, but I am having trouble comprehending the whole
> color allocation/mapping nightmare, there are many variations to deal
> with, and they are fairly different than the imagemagic models.

I'm really looking forward to that one though.  It'll give us
several more map formats, and more capabilities if we want to
program for them.

> + ...any interest in a interface to kismet, the 802.11 wireless
> scanner?  I will probably be coding that to support a current
> consulting project to get realtime maps of 802.11 networks.

If I had any 802.11 gear I'd be wanting to integrate it with Xastir
for just such purposes.

> + this weekend I plan to clean up some of these to initial commit
> level quality, to get them out there for you all to beat up.

And we shall do our best to comply.  ;-)

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com