[Xastir-dev] Position accuracy

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Dec 6 19:41:07 EST 2003

I've read this twice and my brain now hurts...  Generally, one works in
milliseconds for the OnCore, but that's not burned in stone.
Conversions are conversions.  Mind the rounding error.

Are you asking what unit to work in?  I'd do it in milliseconds.  Or
more precisely, I'd end up transforming to a cartesian system and
working meters.  And then back.

For the sake of accuracy, make sure the following are happening...

1.  Datum should be set to WGS84.  I don't care what map you're using
now, that reduces the chances of rounding error on the OnCore.
2.  I'd be collecting a position no more frequently than ever 15 sec.
and more likely, I'd do so every 30 sec.  Don't bother collecting it
every second.  You will add more noise to the equation than you need.
GPS data are strongly autocorrelated in the time domain anyway.  Any
decoupling you can do helps the statistics.
3.  Make sure no data are collected unless HDOP is less than 4, and
preferentially, GDOP is less than 4.  Using PDOP is also acceptable.
4.  I'd want some multiple of 1024 samples for the average.  This should
help smooth some of the noise out as you're looking at the chipping rate
for L1 C/A code at that point.

"Surveys" done with a single code-phase receiver with nothing sitting
simultanelously on _NEARBY_ geodetic control to act as a QC mechanism
are frought with peril, and performed daily... often by folks who are
not pessimistic enough.

73, gerry