[Xastir-dev] Position accuracy

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Dec 7 12:47:17 EST 2003

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> At this point, the differences between NAD83 and WGS84 are fairly
> trivial, amounting to a centroid difference of 2m, which usually
> translates to mm at the surface.  So... it's not a big delta and not
> generally worth the effort.  We're not doing surface geodesy at this
> point, and in my opinion, if we started doing serious geodesy with
> xastir we WOULD have to revisit a lot of the code.

Agreed.  It's the other datums in use in the GPS's connected to APRS
clients I'm more worried about at this point.  NAD27 is common.
That's about 100m in this county, I've heard it can be around 200
meters in other parts of the country.  That causes people to appear
on the wrong roads entirely.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer