[Xastir-Dev] Re: Changes to autoconf/automake files

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Feb 3 12:48:45 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Chuck Byam wrote:

> I've been working on this as time permits.  One of the issues that I've run
> into is having this work on eairlier versions of autotools, particulary
> autoconf.  The problem lies in the fact that autoconf hasn't kept development
> pace with automake and automake had to implement functionality that should
> have been done in the former.  With these newer releases, however, there are
> a number of conflicts with older releases.

Stupid question:  Does this affect only the people that run the
autotools (developers), or does it also affect the users that just
want to run "./configure;make install"?

If it only affects the developers, let's throw away the old stuff
and keep up with the new tools.

If it affects the users as well, perhaps we could add a script that
would check the versions of the tools first, and swap in the proper
files for that system?  How are other software packages handling
this same problem?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com