[Xastir-Dev] Thoughts on converting config to XML

Jeff Brenton KA9VNV ka9vnv at dididahdahdidit.com
Mon Feb 3 14:38:53 EST 2003

JT> I find that the added syntactical sugar actually makes things
JT> easier to understand.

The problem is that XML introduces a LOT of chances for error. Not
only do you have to have the correct NAME for something, you have to
have the correct NESTING and correct CLOSURE. These are things that
are easily done by a machine; doing it by hand sucks.

JT> What is the best choice, in your opinion? I've worked with worse
JT> formats and better formats. The type-checking feature of XML works
JT> very well with the complex data types the Xastir configuration
JT> file contains. I prefer to work with raw HTML files than with
JT> editors and tools, and I don't have any real problems with
JT> negotiating the tags.

Again, it depends what the intention is. If no human is going to HAVE
to manipulate the options by hand, XML or anything else that the
machine handles well, is fine. If a tool for editing the file outside
of Xastir is cobbled together, which will do all the tag balancing,
etc., XML is a fine choice.

However, things like the Windows INI file format are a lot easier for
people to deal with, in part, because there's no tag balancing. There
are also a log of PD and free source code running around for handling
them. I understand there's a handful of GNU-related formats, too.

The important part is to document the hell out of it. If XML is
chosen, the editing tool should have the flexibility to allow you to
add tags not defined in the original spec, so that people
experimenting with add-ons can make use of the common format
immediately.

--
Best regards,
 Jeff                            mailto:ka9vnv at dididahdahdidit.com