[Xastir-Dev] Current state of configure.ac for FreeBSD

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 19 01:33:21 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Jack Twilley wrote:

> Here's what happens when I run bootstrap in CVS as of five minutes ago:
>
> bash-2.05b$ ./bootstrap.sh
> configure.ac:16: warning: do not use m4_patsubst: use patsubst or m4_bpatsubst
> configure.ac:965: warning: do not use m4_regexp: use regexp or m4_bregexp
> autoheader: `config.h.in' is updated
> automake: configure.ac: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' must be used

Do you need to set an M4 variable like Chris had to do on Solaris, to
point to GNU M4 macros?  It's in the Solaris section of README.1ST.

> I'm still not sure how to fix the first two, the third is pretty
> normal, but the fourth?  It's in configure.ac but the documentation
> for automake on my system doesn't mention configure.ac, just
> configure.in -- that is probably the problem.

configure.ac is just the new name for configure.in.  The extension
specifies the tool that works on the file, in this case Autoconf.

> I look forward to basic house-cleaning on configure.ac (removal of
> duplicates, etc.) once it's stable enough that people aren't going
> insane with it.  I've also got a good way to track down the path of
> binaries but that's a lower priority -- personally, I like the idea of
> replacing binaries with libraries, but I recognize that that
> preference is in the minority.

I'm with you on that one, if you mean calling glibc functions instead
of shelling out to use binaries.  It's just that shelling out to use
binaries is a quicker way to get functionality.  I hope to later go
back and program my way around them.

> There's a whole lot of /sw/include, /sw/bin, and /sw/lib stuff that
> should be abstracted -- I'm going to toy with prefixing the
> appropriate search paths with /sw/foo variants, since I want to do the
> same for FreeBSD with /usr/local/foo variants.  When I make it work
> for FreeBSD, I'll make duplicate changes for MacOSX and advertise them
> here for MacOSX people to test.

If I could just figure out how to add more paths to the default
directories searched, I could get rid of a lot of that crap.  I've
looked at the docs again and again and can't find it spelled out
anywhere.

So far MacOSX is the only one preventing the next development
snapshot from occuring.  Marinus still doesn't have a working
ImageMagick on his system, even though the compile/link stages
completed ok.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer