[Xastir-Dev] does it make sense to start killing globals?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jul 2 13:12:30 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Alan Crosswell wrote:

> Depends on where in the code.  If the variable is checked a million times
> because it's in the middle of rendering map vectors then there can be a problem.
>   Again, these can be smartly coded ala len=strlen(foo); and use len, instead of
> calling strlen over and over....

Agreed.  Well, if one wants to concentrate on code efficiency,
they've got a lot of work to do.  There are many places needing it.

Very ocasionally someone will optimize a small portion, but for the
most part things just keep getting added, and the first working
implementation wins.  After that, the code segment is seldom
revisited.  There are just too many cool new ideas to implement...

Note:  I'm the worst offender.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com