[Xastir-Dev] Re: New Directory Structure

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jul 2 13:56:52 EDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Jack Twilley wrote:

> My recommendation is to support multiple, user-definable map directories.
>
> ~/.xastir/maps and /usr/share/xastir/maps are good defaults.  Someone
> who mounts their maps on optical media may wish to add their own map
> directories like /mnt/maps or whatever.

Just for the record:  I've thought more and more about this, and I
think your approach is the best for the user.  My approach using
symlinks from the user directory is the best (read easiest) for the
implementer.  I'm fighting the urge to implement a quick solution,
instead of doing a thorough rewrite where it makes more sense.  ;-)

So.  Given that, what should we do about it?  I think I've
thoroughly broken the save track/save GPS stuff, as it now saves
into the user directory (as it should), but can't be read by the Map
Chooser/indexing code anymore.  Before, it made the saved map
instantly available to the Map Chooser.  In fact for the GPS stuff
it used to automatically select the new map and load it as well.

Here are the changes we probably need to make:

1) New dialog for editing map directories.
2) Storage of those directories in the config file.
3) Changes to map chooser, indexing, map loading routines so that
they can handle multiple roots.
4) Change to full path in the selected_maps.sys and map_index.sys
files.
5) Changes to the configure/install so that the user directories are
created, and initial paths to the system and user map directories
are installed in the config file.
6) Am I missing anything else?

If we changed indexing to write the full path, then the Map Chooser
wouldn't need to handle multiple root directories:  It would display
whatever was in the index.

Downside:  The Map Chooser window would probably need to grow
horizontally in order to show the full paths.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com