[Xastir-Dev] Snapshot problem

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Jun 6 12:09:47 EDT 2003

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

> System that is displaying the problem:  xastir_<user>_snap.xpm file
> was 206212 bytes and the permissions looked fine.  ".png" file was
> not present.
>

> > display xastir_<user>_snap.xpm
> display: Unexpected end-of-file (xastir_<user>_snap.xpm) [No such file or directory].

That was a manual command I ran, in order to check whether the XPM
file was ok.  It appears to be truncated.

> > convert: Unexpected end-of-file (/var/tmp/xastir_<user>_snap.xpm) [No such file or directory].
> convert: Missing an image file name.

This was what Xastir printed in the xterm.

> It doesn't look like an ImageMagick problem.  It appears that the
> XpmWriteFileFromPixmap() call is not completing properly, perhaps
> leaving a partially written file on disk.  I should have snagged
> that XPM file for further diagnostics.  I can't get to it right now.

The below is a bit troubling, although not directly related to the
problem above.  Our code which attemps to run "convert" to create
the XPM file:

#ifdef HAVE_CONVERT
        // Convert it to a png file.  This depends on having the
        // ImageMagick command "convert" installed.
        xastir_snprintf(command,
            sizeof(command),
            "%s -quality 100 -colors 256 %s %s",
            CONVERT_PATH,
            xpm_filename,
            png_filename );

        if ( system( command ) != 0 ) {
            // We _may_ have had an error.  Check errno to make
            // sure.
            if (errno) {
                fprintf(stderr, "%s\n", strerror(errno));
                fprintf(stderr,
                    "Failed to convert snapshot: %s -> %s\n",
                    xpm_filename,
                    png_filename);
            }
        }

I did not see the "Failed to convert snapshot" message.  This means
that ImageMagick's convert didn't return an error code in "errno"?
Is ImageMagick not playing by the rules (again)?  I guess I'll add
yet another error message to see if the system call is returning
with an error.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com