[Xastir-Dev] 1.2.0: reference to ImageMagick 5.5.1 feature?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Jun 16 17:10:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Alan Crosswell wrote:

> Configure didn't catch that I had ImageMagick-5.4.7 installed (the default with
> Red Hat 9  -- I try to build against a vanilla system to see what happens):
>
> maps.o(.text+0xc59e): In function `draw_geo_image_map':
> /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/xastir-1.2.0/src/maps.c:7226: undefined reference to
> `CompressImageColormap'
> maps.o(.text+0xe292): In function `draw_tiger_map':
> /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/xastir-1.2.0/src/maps.c:7904: undefined reference to
> `CompressImageColormap'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Perhaps it could be made to check for CompressImageColormap and either omit that
> use if it's not available or refuse to configure with ImageMagick....

Another example of the "fun" we have with ImageMagick.  We have this
exact code in two places:

#if (MagickLibVersion < 0x0549)
            CompressColormap(image); // Remove duplicate colors
#else // MagickLib >= 0x0549
            CompressImageColormap(image); // Remove duplicate colors
#endif  // MagickLibVersion < 0x0549

The MagickLibVersion as reported by the library doesn't always match
the release of ImageMagick you're running, so this is an imperfect
test at best.  Add to that, we don't always know the exact version
at which ImageMagick changes their API.  It's not always listed in
their ChangeLog when they make API changes.  Sometimes multiple
versions of IM will report the same number, and API changes will
have occured during that time.  That makes it impossible for us to
support.

With 5.4.7, the library _should_ report 0x0547 back, and you should
be using "CompressColormap" instead of "CompressImageColormap".  Are
you _sure_ that 5.4.7 is the library that's installed?

Starting to see why we'd like to dump IM at our earliest
opportunity?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com