[Xastir-Dev] Re: New Directory Structure

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Wed Jun 25 18:52:09 EDT 2003

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Jack Twilley wrote:
>
> > My recommendation is to support multiple, user-definable map directories.
> >
> > ~/.xastir/maps and /usr/share/xastir/maps are good defaults.  Someone
> > who mounts their maps on optical media may wish to add their own map
> > directories like /mnt/maps or whatever.
>

> As in:
>

>     cd .xastir/maps
>     ln -s /mnt/maps optical
>

> There, problem solved!  User-defineable map directories.  As many
> as you'd like to define...

I usually put the symlink in a subdirectory
([...]/maps/optical/optical -> /mnt/maps) so that I can easily chmod
000 the subdir to disable that tree (if I don't want it indexed for
example)

> What I'm trying to accomplish with the symlink to
> /usr/share/xastir/maps:  A simple tweak that doesn't require major
> changes to the map indexing/lookup code, but gives us a unified view
> of the map directories from within the Map Chooser.
>
> You still didn't mention what your preferences were for the default
> naming (from my last message).

Do we do no mods and pick something that will stay on top [or bottom?]
of the list, or something more intuitive like "share[d]", "system"...

Or should we have an implicit link that magically shows up in the map
chooser as either the first or last entry?

My vote would be to move the root map dir to ~/.xastir/maps, and
create a symlink that will end up at the bottom (would "_system" sort
last? Guess it also depends on locale.... yuck).  This way user maps
get loaded first, and the symlink is there to remind users when
browsing around where the other maps live.  The sort order is not as
important after a user discovers the map layer options.

I have been scared of this discussion, since most of the directories
should actually be search paths... like tnc start/stop files should
look for a user file, and use the system one if not found.

Chris.