[Xastir-Dev] Brave testers wanted for raw configure

Jerry Chamberlin jerryc at netlab.org
Sat Mar 1 17:35:27 EST 2003

Redhat 6.2 with obviously the wrong versions, I switched to a Redhat 7.2 for the
current, used this machine until they make the bootstrap.
I will begin the Autoconf and other things upgrade and see what happens.

Running aclocal
Running autoheader
NONE:0: /usr/bin/m4: `m4_symbols' from frozen file not found in builtin table!
NONE:0: /usr/bin/m4: `syncoutput' from frozen file not found in builtin table!
NONE:0: /usr/bin/m4: `changesyntax' from frozen file not found in builtin
table!configure.ac:16: error: Autoconf version 2.53 or higher is required for
this script
configure.ac:16: the top level
autoconf: tracing failed
Running autoconf
NONE:0: /usr/bin/m4: `m4_symbols' from frozen file not found in builtin table!
NONE:0: /usr/bin/m4: `syncoutput' from frozen file not found in builtin table!
NONE:0: /usr/bin/m4: `changesyntax' from frozen file not found in builtin
table!configure.ac:16: error: Autoconf version 2.53 or higher is required for
this script
configure.ac:16: the top level
Running automake
Makefile.am:2: option `dist-bzip2' not recognized
configure.ac: 19: required file `./config.h.in' not found

./configure
GIVES NOTHING (huh) wonder why. Upgrade autoconf is first....

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Jack Twilley wrote:

> I'm looking for a few good testers.  People who understand how
> configure.ac turns into configure and what packages they have
> installed on their system and how to find them.  People who are
> running Solaris, Linux, Cygwin, even HP/UX.  Why, do you ask?
>
> I've totally thrashed the configure.ac file.  What was previously
> nearly eleven hundred lines of configure.ac is now a little over seven
> hundred lines of configure.ac and acinclude.m4 with every major
> part of the code examined with the exception of the ImageMagick evil.
>
> I have also made some minor changes to other files to support some of
> the changes in the configuration files.  These changes are only the
> beginning -- things like checking for headers 'the right way' instead
> of including a header because a library exists.  I've made a tar file
> of all the modified files.  It's located at:
>
> http://www.twilley.org/~jmt/xastir-new-configure.tar.gz
>
> To test the changes, just cd to your CVS checkout directory, update
> your sources, extract the tar file over the source tree, run
> bootstrap.sh, run configure, run make, and install the software
> however works for you.
>
> I can see no difference in my FreeBSD installations, but I'm counting
> on testers to help me make sure it works for everyone.  This patch is
> not ready for prime time.  It will almost definitely break on at least
> one operating system.  The testers who test this need to be able to
> identify precisely what's wrong -- error messages are a good start --
> in order for me to write tests to fix things.  It's a complicated
> task, but the return on investment is high.
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Jack.
> --
> Jack Twilley
> jmt at twilley dot org
> http colon slash slash www dot twilley dot org slash tilde jmt slash

The Net Lab year 2000 and beyond Internet Education is Science
http://www.netlab.org
WA0JRJ - Jerry
used to be ICQ 6408731
used to be AIM PappyJerry