[Xastir-Dev] Short list, stable release, then Xastir-2 development?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Mar 14 12:16:01 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> Well, there are several.  But first, Curt tells me that MySQL will soon
> include spatial elements, so that's not as high on the list...

Yea, but not as advanced as the PostGIS stuff, so it's still not in
the running.  I'm sure it will be someday though, so we want to
create code that can use different back-ends for the database.

> The other is a lot less pressing for us:  PostGres is more mature than
> MySQL according to several texts I've got here.  That's not a criticism
> of MySQL.  But PostGres does have some features (triggers, better joins)
> than MySQL and if we end up needing those, it's better to have them up
> front than to have to try to code them from stone knives and bearskins.

There are some nice documents comparing MySQL and PostgreSQL on the
'net.  Read some of them if any of you have questions, then go read
about PostGIS.

Also, James comments should not be taken lightly.  He's running a
mapping/packet system that is doing rather a lot on MySQL.  Listen
to what he says about it's weak points.

After we get past this SQL/!SQL, MySQL/PostgreSQL discussion we can
start to get down to the business of actually designing something.
;-)

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com