[Xastir-Dev] Less brave testers wanted. :-)

Tom Young tom at twyoung.com
Thu Mar 27 21:13:22 EST 2003

Curt Mills wrote:

> > What I think MIGHT be happening is that the TNC might be sending a
> > slightly different format that standard KISS, like MKISS or one of
> > the other variants.  That would mess up my decoding, which assumes
> > plain-vanilla KISS packets.
>
> Found this out.  Please verify whether the KAM+ uses MKISS or KISS
> or some other variant:
>
>   "Mkiss allows dual port TNCs to be used with the Linux AX.25
>   kernel software. The AX.25 software has no support for dual port
>   TNCs which encode the port number in the control byte of every kiss
>   frame.  Mkiss watches a serial port, (assumed to be a dual port TNC
>   in kiss mode) and routes kiss frames to/from two pseudo ttys. The
>   other side of the pseudo ttys are then attached with axattach as
>   normal."
>
> So that means that the KAM+ is a dual-port TNC right?  That means
> the packets are probably MKISS packets instead of KISS packets.  WE
> don't currently support MKISS.

Aha!  I think you may have it.  The KAM+ is indeed a dual port TNC.   So
I guess I can't test the Serial KISS DIGIPEAT logic for you until MKISS
is supported.

> I think you'll have to run AX.25 kernel networking and load up MKISS
> drivers there in order make use of that TNC with Xastir.

But ./configure does not like my  libax25  and I am able to run as a
straight
serial TNC, in KISS mode.

> Are you seeing objects appear on the map via packets from this TNC,
> or are they all getting thrown away?

When using the Serial KISS interface, all packets contain gibberish.
When using
the plain Serial interface, objects (and everything else) appear to work
correctly.

	-Tom, KD1UL