[Xastir-Dev] Argh! make problems

Chuck Byam cbyam at virginia.edu
Sun May 4 20:40:45 EDT 2003

On Sunday 04 May 2003 12:57, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
<< snip, snip >>
:
: I've had one report so far that with RH9.0's kernel, which has some
: kernel 2.5 features in it, it likes to lock on a "futex" call.  Changing
: to a generic 2.4 kernel seems to fix it.  Not sure whether this should
: go into the FAQ yet, unless another person or two experiences similar
: problems.
:

I personally wouldn't recommend back reving a kernel.  The the RH kernels have
implemented the new(er) New Posix Threading Library (NPTL) as well as
backported many of the new bells and whistles set to appear in the 2.6.x
kernels.  I have experienced a great improvement of apps that are heavily
threaded.  NPTL is supposed to be backward compatible but I have seen apps
that have had problems. I would rather see any incompatibilities in code
dealt with.  You can revert back to the older LinuxThreads implementation by
setting the environment variable:

LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=<kernel-version> in a shell before starting the app

The following versions are available:

       - 2.4.1 - Linuxthreads with floating stacks

       - 2.2.5 - Linuxthreads without floating stacks

or, you can disable NPTL altogether for dynamically linked applications by
using 'nosysinfo' as a boot time option.

-- Chuck