[Xastir-Dev] UTC versus Localtime?

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon May 5 16:47:08 EDT 2003

What the heck happens if someone is running their Unix/Linux box in
GMT instead of localtime?

We have areas of the code which do conversions between the two.  If
someone is already running UTC, how do we easily determine whether
to convert a time/date?  The specific cases I can think of off-hand
are:

1) Where we set the computer time from GPS readings, and
2) Where we decide to expire WX alerts from the screen.

There may well be more cases.

Dale Huguley mentioned that Xastir didn't seem to be displaying all
of the WX alerts that he expected.  He's running his machine in GMT
time.  Could it be that alerts appeared to be expired because of
this and therefore didn't show on his screen?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com