[Xastir-Dev] TODO for 'stable'?

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat May 10 18:48:26 EDT 2003

On Sat, 10 May 2003, James Jefferson wrote:

> I'd really like to see Xastir run on the latest Redhat and Mandrake.
> Considering it will be multiple months before another stable release,
> there is the potential to "turn off" many people from Xastir when they
> compile it for the system but it won't run. I don't consider having to
> install a non-distribution kernel a reasonable fix, especially for linux
> newbies.

What I heard about RedHat was that they put features from a
development kernel into their distribution.  That seems irresponsible
at best.

Until we know whether these new developmental kernel features or
something in Xastir is the problem, we can't really fix it.  I just
know that Xastir runs great on _many_ other systems, but hangs
terribly on this one oddball kernel.

There may well be other issues with the latest RedHat or Mandrake
that we can easily fix.  If we can identify and fix problems before
we release, fine.  If not, there's always the development Xastir
releases until we do the next stable release.

Timing isn't always great for everybody.  If we stay where we are, we
can't get to where we want to be.  We need to release soon.

Just my opinion.

BTW:  There's no reason why we can't change our process and pick
devel releases to turn into stable releases, and do that at a regular
rate, perhaps once every one or two months.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer