[Xastir-Dev] Results of CPU-usage tweaks

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed May 14 16:56:42 EDT 2003

Here's what I have so far.  World-view, nearly everything about each
station is being displayed on the map (most filtering togglebuttons
enabled).

Older code with 9313 stations displayed:
6-13% CPU, often around 9%, RX queue at 67k and growing, two or
three second delay when trying to access menus.

Newer code with 14340 stations displayed:
0-9% CPU, stays around 0.5%.  RX queue stays low, isn't growing
constantly.  It grows when we're updating our weather alert maps
(duh!), and then quickly shrinks back towards 0.  No delay when
accessing menus unless weather alert maps are being redrawn at that
time.

This fix was in response to Bob reporting that the RX queue would
keep growing on a long-running Xastir instance with a lot of packets
coming in.  It doesn't do that anymore.

The code change went into CVS night before last, just before
midnight local time I believe.

I'm interested in other reports, particularly if any problems are
seen with the new code.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com