[Xastir-Dev] Military Grid Reference System (MGRS)

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Nov 3 14:20:28 EST 2003

Initial MGRS support has been added to CVS Xastir.  I'm not sure
when the latest will appear on the anon CVS server, but it should be
today/tomorow.  There were bug-fixes in the new code done today.

You can set Xastir's coordinate system to MGRS and get proper
numbers, including all of the dialogs that spit out coordinates.
This capability extends through the polar regions as well.

Major zones change between the UTM and MGRS settings.  In MGRS mode
you'll see the irregular zones in the Svalbard and SW Norway areas
if you have Map Grid enabled.  In UTM mode you'll see regular
six-degree zones everywhere.

You can convert from other coordinate systems _to_ MGRS using the
Coordinate Calculator.

You cannot convert _from_ MGRS coordinates using the Coordinate
Calculator yet.  If you need to convert, place an object at the
correct MGRS coordinates using the mouse, then switch to another
coordinate system and use the mouse or "Station Info" to read out
the new coordinates.

One current bug:  If you enter UPS coordinates (polar areas) into
the Coordinate Calculator, you get bogus values out.  It's been
added to the bug tracker.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com