[Xastir-Dev] Cartographers? UTM/UPS Questions

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Oct 19 01:31:57 EDT 2003

I'm having difficulty finding the specific answers I need by
searching the web.  Perhaps some of you that have experience with
UTM/UPS coordinate systems might be able to help?

UTM:
----
There are two irregular zones in the area of Southern Norway (31V and
32V), and four irregular zones above there (31X, 33X, 35X, 37X, with
32X/34X/36X/38X being absent).

We draw the _major_ zones correctly in Xastir, but as we zoom in to
these zones and draw the smaller UTM grids inside them, what's the
proper method to draw them?

These zones are not the usual six degrees wide, but vary from three
to twelve degrees wide.  Should we assume that the median for each of
these zones goes up the middle of the irregular-sized zones and draw
the UTM rectangles off those medians?  Currently we're still drawing
the smaller grid off of median lines that are evenly spaced around
the globe, every six degrees.

BTW:  I don't see a mention of these irregular zones on many sites,
even university sites that should have it.  I had to really dig for
the information.

UPS:
----
Should we draw the 60 major zones up through this region, or just
draw two regions for the north, and two for the south?  Do we output
these 60 zones as part of a UPS coordinate, or just leave it at 00?
My GPS shows UPS coordinates as 00Y, 00Z, 00A, and 00B.

The UPS coordinate examples I've found appear to be MGRS coordinates
(U.S. military).  Example:  ZGG7902863771.  I've figured out that
this is the Z zone, GG grid (military), last 5 digits of easting, and
last 5 digits of northing.  My version of the same coordinate would
be:  "45Z  2479029  1963771".  The Lat/Long is 85 40 30N, 85 40 30E.

Should I display "00Z  2479029  1963771" instead?  Anyone know?

MGRS:
-----
Should we support the Military Grid Reference System as well?  It's
not that different from UTM/UPS, in fact it's based on it.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer