[Xastir-Dev] Makefile optimizations for low memory machines

David Flood davidf4 at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 25 21:27:47 EDT 2003

Hello all,

I'm in the process of bashing together a tracker / display that might be (if
I can get it working) used for the upcoming Seattle Marathon.

Since the laptop will be at risk of possible damage by the folks viewing the
map, I'm using an old P90 with 32M or so of RAM and compiling Xastir under
Cygwin.  This is due to the fact that I can get Windows 98 to admit the card
can do graphics, I can't get Xwindows to admit it exists.

And the low memory is the rub.  The 'make all' process gets as far as the
very last call to GCC and it just sits there thrashing in ld (about 8 hours
so far on this attempt).

Is there any way to break that last call to GCC into smaller chunks to link
together and then those pre-linked (or whatever you want to call it) files
can be finally linked together?

Dave
KD7MYC