[Xastir-Dev] Auto-refresh of Shapefiles?

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Oct 30 12:09:19 EST 2003

I have links to zip files, updated each 48 hours, for fire locations
in different regions of the world.  They are in zip file format, but
unzip into ESRI Shapefiles.

Thinking of the .GEO features we have now for auto-snagging maps off
the 'net, what do you people think of extending those to be able to
fetch zip files or Shapefiles (multiple files) from the 'net?

Am I barking up the wrong tree and should do it in some other
manner?

Initial ideas:
1) If a .zip extension, fetch/explode the file.
2) If a .shp extension, fetch the .shp/.shx/.dbf files.
3) Check the extension.  If recognizable, send it to the proper map
display function.

This could give us downloadable maps for more than just Shapefiles
and ImageMagick-recognized images.  We could fetch .map, .tif, .pdb,
.gnis files this way as well.  Any map you use could be located on
remote map servers.

Thoughts?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com