[Xastir-Dev] Re: Xastir SAR feature added

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Sep 20 00:34:21 EDT 2003

I think it depends on what you're looking for.  If you're looking for
a person believed lost on foot, that's one thing, and I would think
circles would be best (Cdir=180), and voila.  If you're looking for
someone in a vehicle (OK, this starts to get outside of SAR, but,
I know there have been times when we've been trying to find people
in vehicles) or, say a package of instruments on a balloon platform
(yes, this is a relatively specific application, but, I know a bunch
of users that are involved with it at http://www.stratofox.org) or
something like that.

So, for SAR, I guess it's true, Cdir=180 hard coded would probably do what
they want.  However, I suspect it's not that hard to allow for Cdir<90 in
the code and draw arcs instead of circles and have the arc move over time.
One option would be start with making the code capable of everything, then,
dumb-down the UI if it's too confusing.  Hide the advanced possibilities
elsewhere.

Owen

--On Friday, September 19, 2003 11:32 AM -0700 "Curt Mills, WE7U"