[Xastir-Dev] Re: Xastir SAR feature added

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Sep 24 10:23:54 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Owen DeLong wrote:

> OK... I still think both modes would be useful.  Like I said, SAR for a
> pedestrian os only one type of SAR.  I can see Xastir being useful for
> things like helping coordinate a CAP search for an aircraft.  In those
> cases, LKP/time, Expected Direction and Expected Speed really matter in
> terms
> of the search area and the search area does tend to expand with time.

Ok.  Something I don't have any experience with, and am unlikely to
get.

> Also, I can see marine applications where you'd want to set current data
> as likely direction/speed.  Not everyone who gets lost is walking at the
> time.

Most of ours are (walking when become lost), so that's what I've
been thinking about and coding for.  If users want other types of
SAR functionality in there, we'll be happy to add it, given enough
time.  Right now I'm being selfish and putting stuff in there that I
want to use in the field!

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com