[Xastir-Dev] Making geo maps fit the world.

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Sep 29 08:53:20 EDT 2003

Couple of thoughts.
1.  Looks like the projection is probably Lambert Conformal Conic with a
central meridian of -98.5 or so.  We don't do well with reprojection at
this point (bring on GDAL!) so that's gonna be a bit of a problem.
2.  The refresh interval on this forecast is probably more like hours,
than 10 minutes.  You can conserve some bandwidth by geting it every
hour or 2...  Radar refreshes at a 6 minute rate.

Reprojection is a problem for you here.  Until we either take full
advantage of proj4 or migrate, we won't be able to account for all the
strange and wonderful ways people have developed for drawing curved
shapes on flat paper or monitors.

And on that note, I've been slamming my head against proj4 in mapserver,
and decided that while I may know something about reprojection, it's
certainly NOT in the context of THAT code.

73, gerry