[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Apr 1 01:52:07 EST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Curt Mills wrote:
>

> > I seem to remember seeing that the geocoder routine returned a pair
> > of lat/long values, for each end of the road segment I assume.
>
> It also returns the interpolated match.
>
> > Which one are we using?  Should we snag both, average them, and put
> > an 'X' in the middle?
>
> We're using the one in the middle, that matches the address we wanted.
>
> > Should we draw a wide highlight line between the two points like
> > I've seen some software do?
>
> Why?

So that we can tell people which road segment is the most likely for
containing the address.

I ran it against my home address and it gives me a point off the
road a bit, and at the far end of my short dead-end street from my
property (according to terraserver and my local topo maps).  That's
what made me think we might be picking the wrong value.  Then again,
the tiger data is off by quite a bit from reality.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer