[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Thu Apr 1 02:19:01 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:56:18PM -0800, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > I did notice that weather alerts in my area do not show up for some
> > reason, but when I connect to firenet and get them for all over the
> > country I see them elsewhere.  I have not had time to figure out why,
> > and the weather's been great here ever since then...
>
> Two possibilities:  dbfawk or outdated NOAA Shapefiles.

dbfawk.  Not sure why or how.  To diagnose it I'll have to capture
some real alert packets in a log file so I can play them back with
debug level 16 (I think) and watch what the code is trying to do when
it searches for the keys.

BTW, newer NOAA zone shapefiles have an extra field in the dbf file
that causes the nwsz_ddmmyy.dbfawk file that comes with xastir to no
longer recognize the signature.  it's the "SHORTNAME" field.

> > I have also noticed that there is some oddness that causes all
> > shapefiles to be displayed at about a 50% dash if any weather alert
> > shows up anywhere in the field of view, and it stays that way for
> > good.  I have not spent any time tracking that down, either.
>
> With or without dbfawk?

Always with -- your question was about dbfawk and weather alerts, so I
kept my comments to that pair.  'Sides, I haven't used xastir without
dbfawk since October, as none of my other shapefile layers (e.g. the
ones on www.swcp.com/~russo/shape_web) display nicely without it.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "It is inhumane in my opinion to force people who have a genuine
  medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently
  view it as some kind of recreational activity."  -- Dave Barry