[Xastir-dev] args to data_add()

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Fri Apr 9 16:39:18 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 12:28:00PM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> > (Sorry, but I don't do radios, just aircraft.  However, now with
> > the ability to use FAA sectionals, it should be easy to use
> > xastir as a moving map display for the FlightGear
> > (www.flightgear.org) simulator.  Would the xastir community be
> > interested in those patches?)
>
> If it would serve a purpose and wouldn't interfere with what we're
> doing I don't see a big reason to reject it.  Some of the other
> developers may have a different opinion on it though.  I guess we'll
> see what other responses you get.

Perhaps it would be better to hack up a generic 'fake tnc' program
that xastir can connect to as if it were an APRS Internet Server?
That little program could read FlightGear's position reports, then
generate artificial APRS packets for xastir to read through a TCP
connection. Xastir could then do real-time updates rather than have to
be told to read a log file.

I think it would be best not to hack the functionality into xastir
itself.  But it should be very easy to make that little linkage
program and use existing xastir functionality.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "It is inhumane in my opinion to force people who have a genuine
  medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently
  view it as some kind of recreational activity."  -- Dave Barry