[Xastir-dev] args to data_add()

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 14 21:51:36 EDT 2004

I may be completely wrong here (haven't actually used GPSD yet), but
as I understand it, you don't "ask" GPSD for anything.  You subscribe
to it (essentially) and it acts as a multiplexer.  It connects to a GPS
via serial port and listens on a socket for subscription
requests.  Then, every string it gets from the GPS is duplicated into
each of the attached clients.

That way, multiple clients (applications) can get the data from the same
GPS.  The GPS NMEA strings should include altitude in the $GPGGA and/or
$GPRMC sentences (if memory serves).  To the best of my knowledge, the
GPS doesn't provide a callsign and GPSD doesn't know anything about
amateur radio.  The callsign would be "Mycall" with regards to a GPS,
anyway.

If you're creating a synthetic GPS, then, you could use a "proprietary
extension" sentence to include the callsign, and, I think it would be
pretty simple and harmless to have XASTIR process that appropriately.
Choose your sentence name carefully (try to avoid existing GPS vendors
sentence names).  I don't think XASTIR uses any of these yet, but, I
wouldn't want to rule it out.

Owen

--On Wednesday, April 14, 2004 17:53 -0400 Wendell Turner