[Xastir-dev] xastir as pvd

Wendell Turner wendell at adsi-m4.com
Wed Apr 14 22:38:24 EDT 2004

Maybe I should go over my objectives.

I'm looking for a "radar display", sometimes called a Plan
View Display, Plan Position Indicator, etc.  My company's
radio (VHF/aviation band) will be receiving Automatic Dependent
Surveillance Broadcast (ADSB, basically GPS position) messages
from aircraft.  Our radio will decode the bits and output
messages for each of the targets it receives.  That is, the
one radio that the computer is connected to will send out UDP
messages for ownship and for targets (the format is not
particular,
NMEA will suffice, as I don't suppose xastir has any desire
to input Asterix(!).  I think Garmin has invented some
proprietary
NMEA sentences with altitude and callsign.  That would be fine.)

gpsd is fine for what is designed for (multiplexing
data from a serial port to multiple receivers), but that does
not fit my scenario. I don't want a gpsd for each target, as
they will come & go.  If xastir could just listen to one udp
port, decode messages it receives over that port, and plot them
(with heading), that would be great.

I've already written my own mapping program that does
this, but it is extremely lame now that I've seen what xastir
can do.

Will it be possible for me to include this functionality into
xastir without perturbing the mainline function?  Maybe as a
run-time command line option to enable it, or a ./configure
option to compile it in?

Thanks,

Wendell