[Xastir-dev] --with-bdb-include=/sw/include/db4

Dan Brown brown at brauhausdc.org
Fri Dec 10 06:25:36 EST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:28:29 -0500 (EST)
> From: Derrick J Brashear <shadow at dementia.org>
> To: "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com>
> Cc: xastir-dev at xastir.org
> Subject: Re: [Xastir-dev] --with-bdb-include=/sw/include/db4
>
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Dan Brown wrote:
>>
>>> I've been having to use  --with-bdb-incdir=/sw/include/db4 with
>>> configure, on Mac OS X to get it to find a fink installed version of
>>> Berkeley db.
>>>
>>> Has anyone looked at automating this?
>>
>> Not as far as I know.  Feel free to tackle it.
>>
>> Derrick:  Interested in looking at it?
>
> It assumes it's not dangerous to add checks for every package system's new
> and different idea of where stuff should go. Is that really a good assumption
> to make?

Certainly, there must be some compromise when there are commonly used
package systems out there, such as - in this case - Fink, where there are
currently checks being employed.

That said, I tend to agree, you can't check for every odd configuration.
In this case, where there are basically 2 different versions of berkeley db
installed, the default that comes with the system, /usr/include/db.h and
the one that fink installs, /sw/include/db4/db.h, shouldn't there be some
preference for "known" package managers, where the installed package will
almost always be newer and prefered than the system version?

If not, I'd suggest that this would at least be worthy of note in the
documentation someplace.

Dan.
--
Dan Brown