[Xastir-dev] Re: Destination or Waypoint (note 1)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 2 00:01:09 EST 2004

More on the new WAYPOINT SYMBOL:

As Keith pointed out and as I had implemented it, the way I keep the
WAYPOINT separate from the STATION itself is to MUNGE the callsign on
receipt by overlaying "-WP" onto the 9 byte callsign field.  Thus, the
WAYPOINT has the name MYCALL-WP to differentiate it from MYCALL-SS.

As a refinement, I overlay "-W#" if the waypoint has an overlay character
of "#", so that say 3 way points become MYCALL-W1, MYCALL-W2, MYCALL-W3
and so forth.  And since this is done on reecipt, it is legal, because
this will never go over the air.  It is only for distinguishing the
waypoint in your system...

One note:  the D700 cannot enter overlays on new ICONS that were not
programmed into it back when it was made, so from the D700 and probably
the D7, you can only uplink one waypoint (this is probably good!).

The best way to use this feature on the D700 or D7 is to progarm one of
your PM's with the WAYPOINT SYMBOL and GPS OFF.  Then you can enter in any
one of the 5 fixed positions as any of your 5 favorite or immediate
Waypoints.  One for Grammas, one for inlaws, one for DCC, etc...

then to uplink it, simply change PM to it, BEACON a few copies of it, and
then resume normal operation in your nomral PM..

Bob

de WB4APR at amsat.org, Bob

MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite  http://ssdl.stanford.edu/mims/