[Xastir-dev] Geotiff causes segfaults

James A Vincent g1pvz at gmx.net
Tue Jan 13 15:57:24 EST 2004

Thanks to all who suggested various approaches to finding the cause of my problems in trying to compile xastir with geotiff support. I discovered that there was existing libgeotiff libs  in /usr/lib which I removed and then recompiled and installed libgeotiff1.2.1.

Running whereis results in

[james at Boffin james]$ whereis libgeotiff
libgeotiff: /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.a /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so

So I think that I have finally installed libgeotiff.

However when I run ./configure with xastir cvs geotiff is not found ie

xastir 1.2.1 has been configured using the
following external libraries.

Building with AX25.......... : yes
Building with Festival...... : yes
Building with GPSMan........ : no
Building with ShapeLib...... : yes
Building with ImageMagick... : yes
Building with libproj....... : yes
Building with GeoTiff....... : no
Building with GDAL/OGR...... : no
Building with pcre.......... : no
Building with dbfawk........ : no

xastir will be installed in /usr/local/bin.

I think I am getting close but would would appreciate further advice !!

Thanks again,

James G1PVZ