[Xastir-dev] Stable Release: Soon. Really!

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jan 19 16:55:46 EST 2004

Chuck:  Let me know if you have any problems with this, else I'll
proceed as follows.

Given:
------
A) We _need_ to get into the habit of doing "stable" releases more
often.

B) It's been suggested that we add some tags to CVS so that people
can update to the latest stable version without downloading large
files.

C) The previous method of doing a code freeze, doing nothing but
fixing bugs for some large period of time is too slow (my opinion).

I propose the following:
------------------------

1) Impose a code freeze immediately.  Bug-fixes are allowed.

2) Update docs by Jan 31st.  If they can't be updated in that
time-frame, it's not a show-stopper.

3) Release a new "stable" release on or about Feb 1st.

4) Tag the release with the "RELEASE" and "STABLE" CVS tags.

5) Tag any new development snapshots with the "STABLE" CVS tag, if
it is felt that the release is relatively stable.  This will have
the effect of moving the tag along over time.  Anyone wanting the
latest "stable" release will use the "RELEASE" tag to do their
checkout.

6) Attempt to get a new "stable" release out each two to three
months.

This scheme will get the first new stable release out there fairly
quickly that people will have some confidence in.  It will also
allow people to run newer "STABLE" versions via CVS, but keep them
away from the unstable development CVS stuff (where I play!).

In my opinion the current "stable" release that we have is too old
to be useful.  I think we've even changed the directory structure
since then.

Comments as to more suitable tag names are appreciated.

In any case, until/unless we hear otherwise from Chuck, consider the
code-freeze to be in effect.