[Xastir-dev] N/S and E/W bit

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 20 16:08:32 EST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> 1) Revise your code starting now to be case insensitive to these 3
> bytes:  N/S and E/W and the Time Zone character "Z/z"
>
> 2) Then at some agreed future date, and after much deliberation, we can
> decide how best to standardize the use of these 3 bits (if needed).

I have no major problems with this.  If the group wishes this, it's
relatively easy to change.

However, what breaks if we take the opposite tack, taking the few
that are case-insensitive and make them case-sensitive?  That might
be a short-term hardship for some, but better in the long run,
correct?  Again, what breaks?

I assume we're seeing packets out there with the wrong case.  Who's
generating them and how do we make them stop?

> Share this with other authors, but not on the APRSSIG.  Just too many
> clueless people there...

Be aware that there are quite a few advanced users that subscribe to
the xastir-dev list, so it's not just the developers here.  It's
still the best place to send stuff to though.  All of the active
developers should see it if sent there.