[Xastir-dev] N/S and E/W bit

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jan 20 19:22:39 EST 2004

> Agree fully.  I was assuming (checking again now) that the case was
> specified in the spec.

Even if it is specified, I'd still prefer being liberal in what we accept.
Even if it isn't specified, conservative in what we send says we should send
data which matches the examples in the spec.

>> Is case defined in the standard, or, was upper case just assumed to
>> be the requirement by lazy coders?
>
> The 'z' in timestamps is specified as such, at least the explanation
> and all examples show lower-case.  The spec often specifies a
> character between '' characters, and there's no example of a capital
> 'Z'.  There's no explicit statement that a 'Z' may not be used.
>
> Same for N/S/E/W:  The explanations and all examples use capitals,
> but it is never explicitly stated that lower-case not be used.

OK, then I'll stand by the theory that we should always send from
the following regexp: [NSEWz] and should accept from [NSEWZnsewz].

Owen