[Xastir-dev] TH-D7 start/stop files

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Thu Jun 17 17:10:41 EDT 2004

At 22:36 14-6-2004 -0700, Curt Mills wrote:
>I seem to remember reading something recently that said the "TC"
>command on the TH-D7A was read even in KISS mode.
>
>I assume though you're talking about the case where you might be in
>converse/chat mode and are interrupting the TNC when it isn't
>expecting to be receiving commands.  In that case a Control-C is
>needed to get things rolling.

Yeah, this is a nasty one. You don't need control-C or anything, the TC
command is interpreted by the Kenwood firmware and not the TNC. It is funny
but if you try it you will see that it works. Here is a transcript with
local echo on and comment what happens:

tnc 1     :Typed command "tnc 0"
TNC 1     :TH-D7 response, TH-D7 switched to APRS
tnc 0     :Typed command "tnc 0"
TNC 0     :TH-D7 response, TH-D7 swtiched out of APRS
tc 1      :Typed terminal control on
TS 1      :TH-D7 response "TS 1" (note: not TC 1 for some reason)
tc 0      :Typed terminal control off
þ         :TH-D7 switched to Packet. While in Packet mode the TH-D7 echo's
and adds
           :line-ends, so while in Packet mode we get everything double

TASCO Radio Modem

AX.25 Level 2 Version 2.0

Release 09/15/99 2Chip ver 2.00

Checksum $CF

cmd::

bbRAM loaded with defaults

TASCO Radio Modem

AX.25 Level 2 Version 2.0

Release 09/15/99 2Chip ver 2.00

Checksum $CF

cmd:MY PE1DNN-7

MYCALL   was NOCALL

cmd:PORTO

PORTOUT  was $0000

cmd:
     mmoonn  oonn                :I typed "mon on"

MONITOR  was ON

cmd:
     uunnpprroottoo              :I typed "unproto"

UNPROTO  CQ

cmd:
     uunnpprroottoo  aapprrss    :Changing unproto to APRS

UNPROTO  was CQ

cmd:
     uunnpprroottoo              :Checking unproto

UNPROTO  APRS

cmd:
     ccoonnvv                    :Enter converse mode

tteesstt                        :Send unproto data "test"

tteexxtt                        :Send unproto data "text"

ttcc  11                        :Send unproto data "tc 1", lowecase no
specific processing

TTCC  11                        :Send unproto data "TC 1", TH-D7 drops out
of Packet mode
TS 1                            :TH-D7 responds with TS 1 like before
test...                         :Send another string
?                               :TH-D7 does not recognize this command

As you see, the TC 1 command is caught, dispite the fact that the TNC was
in convers mode.

This also means that the channel is not transparent, a TC 1<CR> command in
the stream towards the TNC may cause the TH-D7 to drop out of Packet mode.
I think it can handle TC 1<CR> to occur in a longer data-stream, maybe the
TH-D7 waits for a pause followed by TC 1<CR> before it takes the command.
Not realy tested to the bone...

Anyway, ^C to drop out of converse is not needed. The TC 1 command is even
accepted in KISS mode.

Kind regards,

Henk.