[Xastir-dev] More Map Questions/Suggestions !

James A Vincent g1pvz at gmx.net
Tue Mar 16 14:52:26 EST 2004

Dear Xastir Developers

Here are a few question/requests.

1.  It would be a really useful if the lat/long of the cursor position could be "copied" (ie same as middle mouse click) through a right mouse click.
This would allow maps to be downloaded with third -party applications like the really useful geo-map <http://geo.rkkda.com/>

2.Is there a way of "fixing" the map zoom level when using pixmaps such as jpgs.  Here in the UK there is little digtal mapping available and most of it is pixmap based. Zooming provides no extra detail. Ideally a right click for a pre-defined (or adaptable) fixed zoom level could be provded so that maps are displayed at their optimum size. Perhaps the size function of ImageMagick would help ?

3.Could sombody help with the shapefile map dbfawk for esri maps of Europe. I have recently discovered them and they do provide maps of the UK which include labels for Cities and Towns but I cannot fathom out how to get the labels displayed ! (I have read the readme but I don't understand!)

4. Could we choose whether we use Imperial or SI on a per unit basis ? I think in terms of Celcius For temperatures, Knots for wind speed, Miles (statute) for road distances but millimetres for rainfall.  It probably is because I'm English - we buy petrol in litres but work out fuel consumption in miles per Imperial (not US) gallons !

5.  I read on the list that a batch Ozi-explorer to .geo script is in creation.  I really look forward to this as I have a source of maps in Ozi format which would provide excellent coverage of my locale !

I hope I haven't asked for too much ! I know I should try to code things myself but I don't have any coding skills!

Thanks

James G1PVZ